April Battle of the Bands Frat thing whatever OK

Talk about shows.
Eric
Band Member

April Battle of the Bands Frat thing whatever OK

Unread post by Eric »

I took the liberty of putting a demo together for the gay press kit we have to submit should we do this show. I'm not explaining it here, ask Dan. But we are going to play some new material.

Bad
Fade
Track 3
Mr Bubbles
Ballet Dances
grant
Cobra Commander
Google Talk: gtgarvey

Re: April Battle of the Bands Frat thing whatever OK

Unread post by grant »

About time this forum saw some life. Awesome.
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

Maybe when Im in SC we can try recording a new song or two....Ive got one that just basically needs lyrics, which I guess if I have to write them it will just be gibberish. I have a feeling we might be up against some tough competition though....3 or 4 bands out of almost 30....maybe 700 or so people....if we make it into the battle we are gonna have to go balls to the wall as far as practicing goes.
Eric
Band Member

Unread post by Eric »

I didn't bring home my recording shit, so unless Grant wants to collect a bunch of stuff from my room and bring it back, we'll have to have Kevin visit IC. Moreover, I didn't bring home any pedals, cables, and the big amp (although, I'm going to give the small one a chance again). Also, I would gladly write lyrics for your gay song if you don't want to. Don't worry, it won't be about She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (we're having a family Harry Potter marathon here so I've got Voldemort and other wizarding nerdery on the mind). On second thought though, maybe you should write them even if you don't use them. It's good practice. I write about 2 songs a month, and as history has shown, I've only used 4 of them for lyrics. Maybe that means I write shit lyrics, but I like to think it means that writing good lyrics takes time and practice.

I just wrote a song that we can do, it's in Guitar Pro .midi format so everyone's parts are already dictated and should be an easy learn. Kevin already knows it since he got a copy on Thanksgiving, so that helps.

And yeah, this is all assuming we even get picked. I hate being the pessimist all the time, but realistically, we won't likely get selected since we don't play Green Day covers and gay shit like that. HOWEVER, should we be chosen, I agree with Dan. We're going military style on our own asses to make sure it's a damn sexy show.

A final note, in addition to new originals, we should do 3 new covers. Maybe 4 depending on the level of difficulty and how we are progressing. I really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, DO NOT want to play Yuri Gagarin for this show (even as awesome as that song is). I know Dan wants to do "Frances" by the Impossibles. I have 2 songs I am trying to chose between at present - I know you chaps are going to hate one of them just because of who it is, but if you put the stigma aside, I think you will agree it's actually a cool song (especially given the music video if you care about Uganda and Darfur and all that shit).
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

So what song is it?
Eric
Band Member

Unread post by Eric »

"I'm Like A Lawyer With The Way I'm Always Trying To Get You Off" by Fall Out Boy.... Yes, I know we all hate them. But I got a request that we play this at our next show and apparently girls go nuts for this song, so listen to it on youtube or something and cast your vote. Kevin gives it the OK. If the vote does not pass, then I'm defaulting to "Everlong."

Also, Kevin (who is here right now) has informed me that he will be going to Utah on Jan 1st or 2nd so we need to get whatever photoshoot we are doing in as soon as you role into town Dan. And Kevin's nomination for a cover is "My Own Worst Enemy" by Lit (go middle school!).
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

Im rolling into town on the 31st probably, so if we were to do any photoshooting it would have to be on the 1st....so hopefully Kevin will be around then, otherwise we can just do it in IC or Ames. Also I dont hate Fallout Boy....the song is pretty good, I might have to veto Kevins suggestion however, haha.
grant
Cobra Commander

Phi Mu Alpha Battle of the Bands

Unread post by grant »

Got this on MySpace, thoughts?
Vinyl,

Your band has been selected by the Iota Gamma chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia to apply to this year's Battle of the Bands. Our chapter is located out of the University of Iowa's School of Music and the Battle of the Bands serves as our way to give back to the music community and support bands in the area, such as yours.

The 6th Battle of the Bands will be held at The Industry in downtown Iowa City on April 25, 2009. The winner of the battle will receive a $1,000 prize and a return performance with The Industry. 2nd and 3rd place will each receive $150. We also provide a free meal the day of the Battle for the bands and the fraternity so everyone can meet and network as well.

If your band would like to apply for this event, we will need to receive the following items by February 6th:
*Band Biography
*Discography
*Color Photos
*Demo CD (at least 4 tracks)
*Contact Information
*Equipment List

The Production Manager, Darren Look, can be reached at (319) 594-4519 to arrange a way to get these to him as well as by email ([email protected]). If you are interested but don't have these materials together at the moment, please give him a call or send an email so he can keep you on the list of potential bands.

We look forward to hearing form you!

Darren Look
Battle of the Bands Production Manager
(319) 594-4519
[email protected]
http://www. iotagammasinfonia/botb
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

Dan,

Your band has been selected by the Iota Gamma chapter of Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia to apply to this year's Battle of the Bands. Our chapter is located out of the University of Iowa's School of Music and the Battle of the Bands serves as our way to give back to the music community and support bands in the area, such as yours.

The 6th Battle of the Bands will be held at The Industry in downtown Iowa City on April 25, 2009. The winner of the battle will receive a $1,000 prize and a return performance with The Industry. 2nd and 3rd place will each receive $150. We also provide a free meal the day of the Battle for the bands and the fraternity so everyone can meet and network as well.

If your band would like to apply for this event, we will need to receive the following items by February 6th:
*Band Biography
*Discography
*Color Photos
*Demo CD (at least 4 tracks)
*Contact Information
*Equipment List

The Production Manager, Darren Look, can be reached at (319) 594-4519 to arrange a way to get these to him as well as by email ([email protected]). If you are interested but don't have these materials together at the moment, please give him a call or send an email so he can keep you on the list of potential bands.

We look forward to hearing form you!

Darren Look
Battle of the Bands Production Manager
(319) 594-4519
[email protected]
http://www.iotagammasinfonia/botb
Eric
Band Member

Unread post by Eric »

I was just going to post and say "don't let this topic die yet."

Since the Witch will be incapacitating me (I miss L4D) tomorrow morning, I will have plenty of time on my hands the next few days. Therefore, I'm going to go ahead and nominate myself as the Vinyl autobiographer. I like to write anyway. The demo is already done up, and we can sift through old photos on the site, in addition to taking any new individual ones we want before we submit. Maybe we can make a cardboard stand-up of Kevin (OR you can visit Iowa City, Kevin. You know you want to). I'll write up the disco-list while I do the bio. Contact info is easy - that'll be Dan cause I don't want to talk to these people. So the only thing left is our equipment. I think this is what we have, but edit this post as necessary if I fucked up your specs.

2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 2x12 100watt all-tube guitar amp, 1 2x12 160watt solid-state guitar amp, 1 4x10 bass cab, 1 weird bass amp, 1 kick w/pedal, 1 floor tom, 2 high toms, 1 snare, 1 ride, 2 crashes, 3-6 effects pedals requiring power.
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

For the demo I was thinking of maybe putting White Sugar on there as well....just because its awesome......when you get that stuff done just send me the file and I can print it so I can get it to Darren as soon as possible.
WAD

Unread post by WAD »

If I am allowed a request, I pick "People People", Tommy Bolin
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

We should come up with a name for the EP.....any suggestions?
Eric
Band Member

Unread post by Eric »

Anything as long as it doesn't reference David's lyrics or themes. He got his way with the LP, I refuse to give in on the EP as well. It should have been the Meow Concept Album goddamnit!
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

We still havent used Stairway to Upstairs....so thats my vote.
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

Biography:
Vinyl is an Iowa City, IA band that was formed in Sioux City, IA and has been together since 2003. Guitarists Dan Isler and Eric Hsieh co-founded the group with bassist Grant Garvey and drummer Kevin Howard in an effort to waste idle time otherwise spent doing schoolwork. Over the years, Vinyl has played in several free events and exhibitions in addition to competitions and other paid work. In fact, in the summer of 2004, the band won several hours of studio time in a battle of the bands and put out their first album I Guess It Just Seems That I’m Obsessed soon after. In the years since, Vinyl has been working on a second album while becoming considerably more low-key - playing a number of shows in Iowa City and Ames for the fun rather than the fame.

Equipment:
2 guitars, 1 bass, 1 2x12 100watt all-tube guitar amp, 1 2x12 160watt solid-state guitar amp, 1 4x10 bass cab, 1 bass amp, 1 kick w/pedal, 1 floor tom, 2 high toms, 1 snare, 1 ride, 2 crashes, 3-6 effects pedals requiring power.

Discography:
I Guess It Just Seems That I’m Obsessed (LP)
Stairway to Upstairs (EP)
Unnamed Album (Future)

Any suggestions for formatting or other changes? Also, what pictures should we use?
grant
Cobra Commander

Unread post by grant »

Should we list Unnamed Album? I'm in the band and I don't know what that is.
Dan wrote:Also, what pictures should we use?
The gayest one possible obviously.

grant
Cobra Commander

Unread post by grant »

WAD wrote:If I am allowed a request, I pick "People People", Tommy Bolin

You are not. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Eric
Band Member

Unread post by Eric »

I told Wade he wasn't allowed to either. Anyway, the unnamed album is everything after the EP that we didn't really finish recording which may be news to you. But it's probably about 5-7 songs I think. A couple from Dan, a couple from me, and a couple from Kevin. We only practiced 2 of them I think. Track 4 and Mr. Bubbles.

We should probably use all the non-serious pictures we have (which is most of them), cause you know the other tool bands are going to have these pictures where they look all tough and hardcore. Or all alternative and sloppy. We take ourselves seriously, but no one else needs to know that when they look at our pictures.
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

Maybe a couple from shows too, talha has a ton on facebook from the first yacht club performance.
Dan
Band Member

Unread post by Dan »

Update: The stuff has been turned in and a decision should be made within a week of the deadline (Feb. 6), so we should know in about 2 weeks.